Sunday, April 19, 2009

AAA Great Battery Roundup

All this month, AAA Oregon approved facilities will accept, at no cost, used automotive or marine lead-acid batteries. These batteries will be recycled into new batteries.

The lead is 100% recyclable. It is toxic and recycling it will keep it out of our environment. Each car lead-acid battery contains 18 to 21 pounds of lead, ~3 pounds of plastic and ~1 gallon of sulfuric acid, all of which can be reprocessed into new batteries.

Approximately 96 percent of vehicle batteries are recycled. This is more than any other consumer material; more than glass, aluminum, or tin. However, the remaining 4 percent adds up to millions of pounds of lead and gallons of sulfuric acid. These can be discharged into the environment, creating health and safety hazards for humans and animals, as well as a potential fire hazard.

When handling and moving batteries follow basic safety procedures:
  • Wear gloves and safety glasses
  • Keep the batteries upright and transport them in a sturdy box or plastic container
  • Make sure the batteries do not tip over in a moving vehicle
  • If the battery is cracked or leaking, place it in a leak-proof container
  • Do not smoke near the battery or expose it to an open flame

1 comment:

  1. I admire the inspiration for newer innovations. IF vehicles were operated by lithium ion batteries then the world would literally be a different place. ME myself mainly caring for the environment itself would really hope for the best case scenario and would wish that vehicles would run on them batteries!


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.